This traditional Mexican breakfast recipe is a welcome addition to almost any weekend brunch menu. The heart of this dish includes lightly fried eggs sitting atop crispy corn tortillas. From there, it can be customized with your choice of delicious toppings, ranging from refried beans to spicy salsa.
The instructions below include an optional step of frying each corn tortilla in olive oil until slightly crispy around the edges. Another alternative is to toast the tortillas in a dry, non-stick skillet.
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
Huevos Rancheros Recipe
I love having keto snacks at the ready. Try my favorite keto chocolate bars, bone broth and protein powders here. Use code ONANDOFFKETO for 10% off your order!
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- Chipotle powder, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Optional (to serve):
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ c. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 oz. Monterey-Jack cheese, shredded
1. (Optional Step) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn tortillas, one at a time, to the skillet and fry for 15-20 seconds on each side, just until the tortillas begin to crisp around the edges. Transfer to a plate and blot off excess oil with paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and fry the eggs sunny-side up in the leftover oil, just until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Season with chipotle powder and sea salt, to taste, and remove from heat.
3. Top each tortilla with a sunny-side-up egg and serve immediately with choice of diced avocado, fresh cilantro, shredded Monterey-Jack cheese, refried beans, and/or spicy salsa on the side. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387
This is the Keto Meal Plan that completely changed my life. Check this out if you’re curious about starting the Keto Diet or need some help to succeed.
Looking for a guide to sticking to the keto diet? Our Complete Guide to the Ketogenic Diet Book is a complete, all-in-one resource for starting and sticking to the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet plus meal plans, checklists and grocery lists to get you started.
Want the grocery list for free? Get it below.