Healthy refried beans are a go-to meal in my home to satisfy Mexican cravings. Refried beans make a great dip for your tortilla chips, a hearty nacho topping, a spicy meatless filling for your Mexican wraps or as a side dish for Taco Tuesday.
Traditionally, refried beans are made from pinto beans. This version also incorporates red kidney beans for an interesting alternative.
This quick and easy recipe is perfect for busy weeknight meals or whenever you want a healthy, meatless side dish for your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex entrees. It’s a must for Cinco de Mayo celebrations, along with our spicy salsa recipe.
For a more authentic variation, substitute bacon grease for the olive oil in this recipe.
This is the Keto Meal Plan that completely changed my life. Check this out if you’re curious about starting the Keto Diet or need some help to succeed.
Healthy Refried Beans
I love having keto snacks at the ready. Try my favorite keto chocolate bars, bone broth and protein powders here. Use code ONANDOFFKETO for 10% off your order!
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 16-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can red kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add beans, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Cook, stirring occasionally until the beans are heated through and start to break apart slightly, approximately 8-10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and puree beans with an immersion blender or a potato masher until almost smooth. Serve topped with fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quest Nutrition Tortilla Style Protein Chips, Ranch, Baked, 1.1 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Victoria 8 Inch Cast Iron Tortilla Press. Tortilla Maker, Flour Tortilla press, Rotis Press, Dough Press, Pataconera Seasoned with Flaxeed Oil, Black - TOR-003
Immersion Hand Blender, Utalent 5-in-1 8-Speed Stick Blender with 500ml Food Grinder, BPA-Free, 600ml Container,Milk Frother,Egg Whisk,Puree Infant Food, Smoothies, Sauces and Soups - Green
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
Looking for a guide to sticking to the keto diet? Our Complete Guide to the Ketogenic Diet Book is a complete, all-in-one resource for starting and sticking to the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet plus meal plans, checklists and grocery lists to get you started.
Want the grocery list for free? Get it below.